Even after three plus decades now living in the US, when I do travel back to Canada, I find myself slipping back in to the mother tongue. Thought I’d compile some of the Canadianisms – the words, phrases and mannerisms I find myself reverting to.
1. Eh?: Add at the end of your sentence as a friendly short-cut for “don’t you agree?”
2. Pop: Don’t say “soda” or you’ll find yourself with a glass of carbonated water. “Pop” refers to the bubbly soft drinks.
3. Queue: A line of people.
4. Poutine: A dish of fries + gravy + curd cheese
5. Zed: the last letter of the alphabet (Z)
6. Serviette: a napkin
7. Toque: Pronounced “took” is a knitted winter cap.
8. Hydro: electricity